02 March 2009

Exercise & Training

In addition to supplements and a nutritious low-carb diet, I try to work out every day and have been increasing my indoor workouts time/difficulty as I prepare to start running outside again (as time and weather allow).

The
Bay City St. Patrick's Day road race is on March 22nd and I am preparing to run the 8K race.

Every day I do at least 30-45 minutes of pretty intense aerobic activity, usually on the elliptical machine and also on the stationary bike. Lately, I have increased my total time spent per workout session to about 60 minutes. Hopefully, it will take less time than that to run 5 miles! I really want to increase my speed, so I have been changing up the program each workout. On day one, I do "no resistance" (level 0), where I run at the fastest pace I can for the full time. The next day I will do the "cardio" (varying levels 3 - 6), where the workout varies in intensity throughout the duration with "rolling hills". And then the next day, I will do a full session at maximum intensity (level 10). If I do 45 minutes on the elliptical, I will do at least 15 minutes on the bike while using wrist weights to work out my arms/upper body at the same time. My heart rate usually is in the 160's during the most intense periods of my workouts.

In the fall, I was running 5.1 miles in around 45-50 minutes. My goal for the 8K race is 45 minutes. It will be interesting to see what my actual time is once I can get outside and getting running for real again.

No comments:

Post a Comment