04 March 2009

"The Fat Fast"

After realizing just how stubborn my metabolism is, I realized that I do have what I consider to be metabolic resistance. I have a hard time keeping warm (and am very non-thermogenic in general). I have a very difficult time losing weight and without intense exercise, I cannot even maintain my weight if I eat every day. Crazy but true. Without (a lot of) exercise, I gain weight even if I eat only one meal per day. If I only eat every other day, I can maintain my weight pretty well. So, in an effort to lose a few of the winter pounds I'd put on and realizing that I am dealing with some metabolic resistance issues, I stumbled upon what I thought would be the solution to my metabolic/weight loss dilemma: "The Fat Fast."

I basically "live" in the induction phase of the Atkins Diet, eating usually less than 20 net grams of carbohydrates per day and still I struggle to maintain my weight. I cannot get into ketosis even when, theoretically, I should be when consuming such a low level of carbohydrates.

In the book "Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution, Revised Edition," there is a chapter entitled "Treating Extreme Metabolic Resistance: The Unique Fat Fast." This section outlines the exact problem that I am experiencing in regards to being unable to lose weight, despite following a strict low-carb regime. It suggests a short-term extreme ketogenic diet to jump-start the metabolism and get the body into the ketogenic state. I thought I would give it a shot.

The "Fat Fast" consists of eating a total of 1000 calories per day with 90% of the calories consumed coming from fat. The meals are broken down into five 200 calorie meals eaten throughout the day. It is recommended that the diet should not be followed for more than 4-5 consecutive days.

I planned my diet and prepared all the suggested foods in prepackaged containers, all measured and weighed accordingly.

The following is my "Fat Fast" diary:

DAY ONE (1/26/09):
Weight: 127.4 pounds
Ketones: Negative

Meal 1: 1 oz. macadamia nuts
Meal 2: 1/2 oz. pork rinds with 2 oz. sour cream & 1 T. Parmesan cheese
Meal 3: 1 pkg shirataki noodles (0 cal/0 carb), 7 shrimp scampi, small salad with sugar-free dressing

Beverages: 3.5 cups of coffee with Splenda and half-and-half; 1 cup sugar-free GFIC coffee with half-and-half; 1 can Diet Rite Red Raspberry Soda; Water

Exercise: 45 minutes on stationary bike & elliptical machine

DAY TWO (1/27/09):
Weight: 125.6 pounds
Ketones: Negative

Meal 1: 1 oz. macadamia nuts
Meal 2: Celery with 2 oz. cream cheese
Meal 3: 2 oz. tuna salad with 1/4 avocado

Beverages: 4 cups of coffee with Splenda and half-and-half; 1 cup sugar-free GFIC coffee with half-and-half; Water

Exercise: 30 minutes on elliptical

DAY THREE (1/28/09):
Weight: 123.6 pounds
Ketones: Negative

Meal 1: 1 oz. macadamia nuts
Meal 2: 2 oz. egg salad
Meal 3: 1.5 servings low-carb meatloaf, small salad with sugar-free dressing.

Beverages: 4 cups of coffee with Splenda and half-and-half; 1 can Diet Rite Red Raspberry soda; Water

Exercise: 45 minutes on elliptical

DAY FOUR (1/29/09):
Weight: 124.2 pounds
Ketones: Negative

Meal 1: 1 oz. macadamia nuts
Meal 2: 2 oz. tuna salad with 1/4 avocado
Meal 3: 1/2 oz. pork rinds with 2 oz. sour cream and 1 T. Parmesan cheese
Meal 4: 1/2 chicken breast, 1/2 c. cauliflower, small salad with sugar-free dressing

Beverages: 3.5 cups of coffee with Splenda and MimicCream; 2 cups sugar-free GFIC coffee with MimicCream; Water

Exercise: 45 minutes on elliptical

DAY FIVE (1/30/09):
Weight: 123.2 pounds
Ketones: Negative

Meal 1: 2 oz. tuna salad with 1/4 avocado
Meal 2: Celery with 2 oz. cream cheese
Meal 3: Spinach & Grilled Chicken Salad, Mushrooms, Pickles (Restaurant)

Beverages: 1.5 cups coffee with Splenda and MimicCream; McDonald's Lg. Sugar-Free Vanilla Latte; Diet Coke; Water

DAY SIX (1/31/09):
Weight: N/A
Ketones: N/A

Meal 1: Scrambled eggs, 4-5 pieces of bacon
Meal 2: 2 oz. egg salad
Meal 3: 1 chicken breast (low-carb, oven-fried), cauliflower, small salad with sugar-free dressing

Beverages: 4 cups of coffee with Splenda and half-and-half; Water.

Exercise: 45 minutes on elliptical

DAY SEVEN (2/1/09):
Weight: 123.8 pounds
Ketones: Negative

Meal 1: 1 oz. macadamia nuts
Meal 2: 1/2 oz pork rinds with 2 oz. sour cream and 1 T. Parmesan cheese
Meal 3: 4 oz. grilled steak, small salad with cheese and walnuts, grilled asparagus

Beverages: 3 cups of coffee with Splenda and half-and-half; Water

Exercise: None.

DAY EIGHT (2/2/09):
Weight: 123.0 pounds
Ketones: Negative

Meal 1: 1 oz. macadamia nuts
Meal 2: 2 oz. tuna salad with 1/4 avocado
Meal 3: 1 oz. macadamia nuts
Meal 4: Mexican low-carb dinner

Beverages: 4 cups coffee with Splenda and half-and-half; Water

Exercise: 35 minutes on stationary bike and 10 minutes on elliptical

DAY NINE (2/3/09):
Weight: 125.2 pounds
Ketones: Negative


CONCLUSIONS:
The "Fat Fast" diet did not put me into ketosis, but I did manage to lose a couple of pounds. The meal portions are VERY small and although I was not really hungry, I felt deprived because of the small amount of food I was allowed to eat. I did not follow the diet to a perfect "T", but did try to stay within the allowed caloric range and instead of eating the 5 small meals, I would often eat a larger (normal size) dinner which I counted toward 2 of the smaller meals. I also extended to diet to eight days because of the exceptions included at times. I did not experience any noticeable change in my metabolism and even though I managed to lose a couple of pounds, it was definitely not worth the effort and deprivation. The "Fat Fast" did not work for me.

UPDATE:
Since increasing my workouts to 60 minutes of intense activity per day, wearing Delfin Spa Bio Ceramic Anti Cellulite Shorts, continuing to eat at induction levels, and fasting at least a day per week from dinner, I have managed to lose an inch from my hips and my current weight is 123 pounds. The "Fast Fast" was supposed to be more effective than fasting to lose weight, but I am finding that, for me, fasting actually works better. I'm sure it's not doing any favors for my already-poor metabolism, but neither did the "Fat Fast Diet." So, for now, I will continue doing what I am doing and learn through trial and error what works best for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment